Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen




Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 2 to 3 hours, or it can actually cause the skin more harm than good. However, no one really has the time or patience to wash their face and re-do their entire morning routine multiple times throughout the day. Thus, it's a no-brainer that reapplying sunscreen is especially a hindrance for those of us who wear makeup and don't want to ruin it.

But, there are sunscreen products out there which can alleviate this problem. Spray-on sunscreen, which comes in liquid form and is packaged with either pump bottles or aerosol cans, is easily obtainable at the drugstore and can be stashed in your purse for quick mists. Some brands that offer spray sunscreens are Coppertone, Banana Boat, Neutrogena, and La Roche Posay. Another option is mineral sunscreen, which comes in powder form and needs to be brushed onto the skin. So far, I have not seen mineral sunscreens at the drugstore except in mineral makeup like L'Oreal Bare Naturale, but Peter Thomas Roth has two mineral sunscreens, one with SPF 45 and the other with SPF 30. Additionally, Bare Escentuals has its own bareMinerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen, also a mineral sunscreen, which is what I'm reviewing today. It comes in a white plastic tube dispenser with a brush on the end, contains 0.14 oz of product, and retails for $28. You can buy it at Sephora, BareEscentuals.com, or any retailer that carries Bare Escentuals. There are 3 different skin tone shades, but no transparent or clear. I received mine in light when I purchased the RareMinerals Active Mineral Skincare System--a great value if you're interested in trying all 4 products at a decent price. (The set is still in stock today, so get it with the Friends & Family discount while you still can!)

The Bare Escentuals mineral sunscreen is very simple to use. The powder is housed inside at the base, and you can actually see it because the plastic at the very bottom is clear. After you pop off the cap, twist the base to push the brush up out of the tube as well as slide open the dispenser underneath. Turn the tube upside down so the brush is pointing at the floor, tap it several times into the back of your hand. This helps get the product, which is distributed through three holes, into the the brush. Then, with your face tilted toward the ceiling or sky (as upright as possible), brush the sunscreen over your face in small circular motions.

Bare Escentuals claims that their bareMinerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen is oil-free, preservative-free, and contains 12% micronized Titanium Dioxide (micronized means the UV physical blocker has been broken down finely so it won't irritate the skin). Also, the powder supposedly contains Vitamins A, C, and E, aloe vera extract, and antioxidants to nourish the skin.

When I received this product, I noticed immediately how soft and nice the white brush is--it does not irritate my skin at all. The sunscreen also does not have any strange smells or fragrances; and since it only contains mineral, or physical UV blockers, rather than chemical, it is perfect for people with sensitive skin. This sunscreen does not accentuate any dry patches on my skin either. My T-zone develops shine various times throughout the day, so I prefer to blot my face before applying this sunscreen so as to prevent my skin's oils from contaminating the brush as much as possible. The powder has a bit of coverage but is still translucent enough that it matches with my skin tone. Also, I like that after applying it, my skin has a nice matte finish. I have not broken out or developed clogged pores from using this powder. It is convenient to toss into my purse and whip out for touch ups, and the packaging design ensures that the sunscreen never unscrews itself and releases a bunch of powder into my purse (I've read that the Peter Thomas Roth mineral sunscreen packaging does this).

However, as with any product, there are various cons:

1. Since the brush is attached to the product and you can't take it out, you'd have to probably purchase or use a special brush cleaner spray if you want to clean the brush every so often.
2. Although the sunscreen doesn't accentuate my dry patches, I don't recommend using it if you have dry skin. Though it claims to nourish the skin, it probably doesn't have many beneficial properties.
3. I know the product is coming out because the brush is stained darker with the powder from where the dispersing holes are located, but I cannot actually see the powder coming out itself. No matter how many times I shake or tap it the tube over my hand or a flat surface, there is no powder falling out from the brush. How much is really getting distributed on my skin, and am I protecting my skin sufficiently? I have no idea.
4. Since it isn't a cream or lotion, the mineral sunscreen is probably not rub or sweat resistant (forget being water resistant). I have to be extra conscious of not touching my face, like resting my chin in my hands, so I don't ruin my SPF coverage.
5. 0.14 oz means that this sunscreen actually doesn't contain a lot of product in it. Because the base is clear plastic, you can see the powder, but you can't see how much powder you've used up. Thus, you'll have no idea when you need to repurchase it until one day you don't see anything settling at the base anymore.
6. If you wear powder blush or foundation, you still might face the possibility of ruining your makeup anyway when you brush this sunscreen on.

Out of all these cons, the one that bothers me the most is #3. I am a little obsessive compulsive about protecting my skin from UV rays, so not being able to know how much product is coming out is rather annoying. However, I did use this product on my face on a little outing to the beach during the summer; and though I tanned, I did not sunburn. So maybe it really does work...in a secretive, magical way like that of the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus? Hmm.

I do not think I'll repurchase this product, but I do think it's a good option to have around, such as for when you're breaking out and don't want to mess up your concealer/foundation by reapplying a liquid or cream sunscreen.

Hope this helps!

8 comments:

Margy Z said...

I heartily recommend this product. I bought it for an extended trip to the USVIs this past April. I have extremely sensitive skin and hate anything "greasy" on my face. I used this every day and did not burn. I reapplied after being in the water but I did not feel like this product was melting off my face or that I was sweating it off. I used the "medium" shade - I am fair but this gave me kind of a tan glow. I loved it and will be using it again. Great product!

SHIZUKA said...

thanks for such a detailed review! seems great~~~ and thank you for all the comments, sorry my blog sale is going to take some time as i just got my camera and need to start sorting and im super busy too but when it's up you'll know!! xx

Anonymous said...

Great detailed review! Helped me a lot!

You said you wouldn't purchase this again. What product would you recommend then that is similar to this?

Thanks!

srishti said...

Review was helpful...as I was not sure weather I would really need it and weather it would suit my skin type. I have dry skin and have tried the Bare minerals foundations but they just seem to show up my dry patches so im nt sure their formulas are for me lol

Rachel said...

Anonymous: Unfortunately I haven't tried other powder sunscreens so I can't recommend a different product :-( Peter Thomas Roth makes a powder sunscreen too, but it also comes in a similar type of dispenser. I know this packaging is designed to be convenient, but I wish I could control and know how much of the product is actually going on my face!

Boohoo sale said...

I will try this powder sunscreen i think it will match with skin because i have an oily skin.

Web Design Company said...

I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog.I am appreciating your effort.

stretch mark removal cream said...

I love this but sometimes this doesn't sit well with my powder. arrgghh

Followers

Labels